View Single Post
Old February 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #11
k4swb

What I'm trying to convey is that if you start load development you usually start with somewhat low powder charges. At starting levels I have never even considered seating depth other that for functionality in my guns. If a starting load were to show ANY signs of pressure with any reasonable seating depth and I wanted to continue to use this seating depth all I really need to do is back off the powder charge slightly, but I've never had this happen. There is a larger leeway in seating depth than most people on the forums realize. As long as the round functions all the way from the press to the chamber you can adjust pressure with powder charges. Go watch a benchrest match. Loaders are throwing all kinds of charges without a scale in sight and changing seating depth to suit themselves and not consulting specs anywhere. The proper seating depth for MY handguns is anywhere that will keep the crimp on the bullet body with enough force that the bullet does not fall out of the case and fit the magazine and chamber. This is the first thing I determine whan working up loads and I do not consult a manual for this. Only then do i even get into powder charges.

Page generated in 0.03138 seconds with 8 queries