View Single Post
Old February 19, 2019, 02:46 PM   #37
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
But if you buy a gun for someone else (anyone else) and declare on the forms that you are the actual buyer, when you aren't, its a crime.
That's even more clear. The transaction has nothing to do with whether the third party (who is the actual buyer) will be a legal gun owner. They need to complete and sign their own form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
You can buy a gun for someone else as a gift (and declared as such). Legal.
OK, so how does one declare this? I ask for this reason. Two Christmases ago, a woman I know was looking to buy a Beretta 92 for her husband. I told her to make sure she knew the law and specifically how to answer every question on ATF Form 4473. On one hand, Question 11.a seems pretty restrictive:

Quote:
"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you."
Emphasis added.

In your example, the woman is not buying the Beretta 92 on behalf of her husband, she is buying it for him.

"On behalf" above is a colloquialism for an agency relationship. "On behalf of the Salvation Army, I'd like to offer you a cup of coffee and a doughnut" means that the coffee and doughnuts offer isn't mine, but the Salvation Army's, and I am just communicating their offer.

"For" is ambiguous, but when contrasted with "on behalf of" indicates donation to someone. "I am buying a pacifier for my child" doesn't mean that my child appointed me to purchase a pacifier in my capacity as her agent; it means I am buying it, owning the pacifier, then giving to my child when I get home.

The most effective way not to confuse the counter staff about a gift you are buying is not to rope them into a conversation about it. Their disincentive for incorrectly allowing a transfer is likely much higher than any incentive for completing one, so they are more likely to err in not allowing a legitimate transfer.

Page generated in 0.02860 seconds with 8 queries