View Single Post
Old February 6, 2019, 04:52 PM   #29
5whiskey

This is off topic but relevant.

I have a unique view of immigration and immigrants, both legal and not. A fellow officer is a US citizen (born here), however his parents were visa-overstay immigrants from Mexico. They were ultimately deported when he was 17, however he stayed. It set him back in life, and he had a pretty negative image of America for a little while. He's in his late 20's now, and more mature. He understands that its, well, complicated. After speaking with him, and many others in the community, I have pretty much developed a "middle of the road" view that's quite sympathetic to certain populations of illegal immigrants who have been here for years and never have caused any problems.

I feel strongly about the subject, have met and spoke with with numerous illegal immigrants who were sincere and good people. On the same note, however, I recognize that every other nation controls their immigration and that bad things and bad people cross the border almost daily mixed in with the poor good folks who really just want a better life.

I do not disagree with some views held on both sides of the immigration debate. But, middle of the road as I am, I would probably never join either a "pro" or "anti" illegal immigrant rights foundation. Why? Because in my view a solution seems so simple, yet so complicated at the same time, and both sides engage in hyperbole and fear-mongering or moral tongue wagging to support their side/views. I do not relate to either side of the discussion. Therefore I would not join any immigration rights group because either side will have views more extreme than the ones I hold, IMO.

How is this relevant at all?

Quote:
It DOES exist but like the 'any gun, any time' faction, those that think the NRA is too soft(like this gent..Military Arms Channel-https://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/10/09/military-arms-channel-withdraws-nra-support/), they are both at each end of the spectrum and neither appeals, again, to those of us in the nebulous 'middle'..Neither speaks for me or to me..
You are in the same place, only with gun rights...

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Page generated in 0.03685 seconds with 8 queries