View Single Post
Old May 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #32
SgtLumpy

I have been known to take command presence and say something like "STEP AWAY FROM ME NOW", without displaying a weapon. I do that when someone is too close behind me at an ATM or even just in line at the grocery store. Nearly always those situations aren't impending catastrophe. I'm simply letting people that they are in my space and I do not intend to let them continue to be there.

I'm not interested in being polite to someone who invades my space, be they bad guy or simply clueless.

In the case of this window washer scenario, I'm not interested in engaging him in conversation. I'm letting him know that I've escalated the use of force continuum to VERBAL. I am in command of the interface, not the other person. That by no means suggests that I aim and prepare to fire on everyone who gets near me. Bad guys can read command presence. They always know I'm an ex cop. Good guys can either read it as I'm in command or I'm being an Alpha Hotel. Doesn't matter how they interpret it, as long as they comply and exit my space.

Sgt Lumpy

Page generated in 0.03959 seconds with 8 queries