View Single Post
Old January 9, 2018, 01:21 AM   #99
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Because something is hard is not a reason to not do it........ I believe the opposite is true: We did not go to the Moon because it was easy, we went because it was hard, and the rewards were many and varied, some immediate and obvious and many more were intangible and not realized until much later ....
LOL, we didn't go to the moon because it was hard. Kennedy said that in a speech and that was nothing more than propaganda nonsense. The goal was to look superior to the Russians. There were lots of hard things we could have done on mother earth that we didn't attempt and still haven't accomplished today. The issue isn't hardness and the comparison with hunting and going to the moon is spurious.

A lot of people won't hunt or won't stay involved with hunting specifically because it can be hard to accomplish. It can be hard to own your own land to hunt. It can be hard to find a lease within a reasonable distance that you can afford. It can be hard to make it to the lease for your recreational hunting time because so many other things in life get in the way of committing that much time. Most hunters aren't hunting out of necessity. It is recreational. In fact, the meat gained by a lot of those recreational hunters is really expensive on a per pound basis. Most of your hunters are doing to be your deer, duck, quail hunters who have season limited time constraints who obtain a limited amount of resources. Many are just trophy hunters, first, and the meat is secondary.

Most anybody that has a job and family isn't likely to have a lot of time to spend going door to door to ask landowners for permission to hunt (free or paid). It is hard work to do and getting turned down is more often the norm than the exception. So no only is it hard, but discouraging.

I understand that it is sad that so many landowners have learned that they can earn income from leasing their land for hunting, earning extra money to support their families. It is sad that so few landowners are willing to allow strangers free access to their land to hunt. Of course, so many of them have gotten burned in the past by hunters who failed to take care of the property, left open gates, left trash, shot livestock, etc.

You can blame $$ for ruining hunting, but should also blame a lot of the hunters who have ruined it for the rest of us by not being good borrowers of other peoples' lands.

Page generated in 0.02260 seconds with 8 queries