View Single Post
Old November 17, 2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Hunting Deer with a 400 gr Speer 45-70 government load

I have decided I'm going to use my Marlin 1895 on at least 1 deer this year. Our standard rifle season begins tomorrow.

Is an 1,870 fps, 400 grain Speer soft point fired from a 45-70 overkill on a 150-200 lb deer? You betcha!

But I bought the gun, developed the load, and want to try it out. Plus, some of the areas I hunt have hogs. If I see one I will try it on one of them too.

I have more appropriate deer rifles, but I'm like a kid with a new toy at Christmas with this thing and my load is very accurate..... especially with these Skinner sights.

So far I have put a trigger happy trigger in it to eliminate the trigger flop. It now brakes at 3 lbs 4oz. I put an aluminum mag follower in it rather than the factory plastic one, a Skinner rear sight, an open front sight hood, a Beartooth safety delete, and a dovetail blank to fill the gap left by the old sight.

With very little adjustment, I'm zeroed at 125 yards and shooting consistent 2" groups at 100 yards with Open sights .

I doubt I will recover a bullet from a deer, but I might on a hog. If I do, I will post a picture.

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries