View Single Post
Old February 7, 2018, 01:15 PM   #19
tobnpr

Quote:
The bolt head did not come with an alignment slot as the original had so I took it to the gunsmith to have it machined. The gunsmith inspected the gun and told me it needed cleaning very badly. When I finally got it back he said that the new bolt head shortened my chamber such that it would not close on a go gauge.
Quote:
I asked him to run the barrel out to make the gun chamber the correct length and he did that, but said he hated to let it leave his shop with the sights off to the side and that, if it were his, he would try what he had suggested.
I'm lost on all this...
If the headspace is inadequate after changing the bolthead, run a finish reamer in to deepen the chamber- or true the boltface if it's minimal.
Whenever I work on a Savage, I always use a carbide boltface truing cutter to cut the face perpendicular to the receiver threads. Easy enough to remove additional material to gain a few thou if that were the objective.

What is meant by "sights off to the side"???
Unless the chamber were cut too deeply by mistake, it's not going to affect the barrel timing. It will end up exactly where it was prior- but with the correct depth chamber instead of having inadequate headspace.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Page generated in 0.07201 seconds with 8 queries