View Single Post
Old October 15, 2015, 11:40 PM   #89
Sevens

Another update to the above load...
I built 50 more of those and then I also built 14 rounds each of 10.6gr and 11.2gr AA#9 and I chrono'd all three loads and then I once again (for the 3rd time in two different sessions) chrono'd the 10.0gr loads.

I saw very little increase in velocity with the 10.6 and 11.2gr loads and the 10.0gr loads showed very consistent numbers through the traps.

In NONE of the loads did I see any manner of excess pressure, no extraction/ejection issues and although I think "reading primers" is WAY overblown, especially in internet discussion forums, it is still relevant and I saw no discernible difference across the three different loads.

I found that the 10.0gr load does a fantastic job of whacking an 8" steel gong at 100 yards and I plan to go forth with this new pet load.

There certainly could be a better propellant than the one I chose (Accurate#9) and I am sure that a lot more work could develop safe loads taking this Xtreme .311" (7.62x39) FP plated rifle slug to higher velocities than the ~1,200 fps that I am running, but for simple steel plate shooting, this is a fantastic and fun new load for me to play with.

In the event you may not have been aware...
Xtreme shows these selling for $46.48 per 500 count box right now. The fantastic Hornady 85 and 100 grain XTP slugs are great bullets but they run about $19 per 100 before tax.

I'm planning to build a LOT of these and when the weather turns cold and I'm forced to shoot indoors for a few months, I will put these rounds to the test for accuracy. Indoors with no wind, consistent light and paper targets, it is a pretty good environment for accuracy testing, even if it's not nearly as much fun.

Page generated in 0.03151 seconds with 8 queries