View Single Post
Old February 1, 2009, 09:10 PM   #109
Frank Ettin
Staff

zippy, let me try to refine the analysis a little. It's true that most of serious and best competition shooters use one of the high end competition, break action guns: Perazzi, Kolar, a Beretta DT10, etc. It's not because they're pretty, because the guns used by the competition shooters tend to be plain. I suggest that there are three primary, and practical reasons for this.

[1] The guns are available with stocks made to custom dimensions. In wingshooting/clay target shooting, gun fit can be critical. The gun must be an extension of the shooter for the very best results. It must shoot where the shooter is looking. Yes, many people break a lot of clays or drop a lot of pheasants, with guns that are off the rack and that they've adapted to. But serious clay target competition is tough and close. Even if really good gun fit is only worth 1 or 2 targets out of a hundred, but that can be the difference between getting into a shoot off on one hand and going home early on the other. Last year at the California State Shoot (ATA Trap) the 16 yard championship was won with 400 straight (200 in the event and 200 in the shoot off). The guy who came in second broke 399. Sure an auto-loader can be fitted with a custom stock, and often is, but see [2] and [3].

[2] The better guns tend to work better as far as some of the little details are concern. The Perazzi's, etc., have, or can be set up for, excellent, cleanly breaking triggers. They tend to have fast lock times. These little details may make only a small difference. But as noted above, 1 target out of 400 can be the difference between 1st place and 2nd place. A serious competition shooter will want every edge.

[3] The best break action competition guns are mechanically very strong and reliable. The top clay target competitors shoot an awful lot, and their guns take a beating. It wouldn't be unusual for a competition shooter, between competition and practice to shoot 20,000, 30,000 or more targets in a year. Guns like Perazzis and Kolars are built well to stand up under that sort of use. A trap shooting buddy of mine was doing quite well with his properly set up Beretta 391, but it kept breaking. It was easy enough to repair, and he always had the parts and tools he needed with him; but it was a nuisance and negatively affected his concentration. He switched to a Perazzi MX14

But at the same time, there are plenty of guys who are doing quite well with their 391s fitted out at substantially less cost than a basic Perazzi goes for. An most of us aren't competing at that level. We like our Perazzis, we appreciate their quality, and we bring home a buckle now and again. But I would say that having a gun at that level is critical to our game.

Page generated in 0.03772 seconds with 8 queries