View Single Post
Old April 11, 2019, 06:03 PM   #2
stinkeypete

We know you don’t hunt and do shoot clay pigeons with your pals... that helps determine your use.

On the used market you can likely find lovely old pump action shotguns, fixed choke, in 12 gauge for under $300.

The “big three” are:
Remington Wingmaster (not the “express”) (really fine gun. I have one.)
Mossberg 500 (i’ve Never shot one but they are highly respected)
Ithaca model 37 (my favorite because it ejects down and feels right to me and it’s family tradition)

I would propose you find a nice used one, with a proper barrel, in modified (or full) choke. The barrels are long so they swing nice and helps you hit flying targets. It’s hard to hit them, by the way.

Although the Ithaca can be slam-fired, please don’t butcher a nice shotgun! I’ve seen some heartbreaking bubba-got-a-sawzall destructions of nice shotguns.

If you want to make some toy for shooting trash cans, get a Mossberg with the plastic stock and short barrel.

If a friend ever says “hey, let’s go hunting... I’ll show ya how” you’ll feel less like a goof walking with the fellas with an old classic. Old guns are not optimal for duck hunting or those places that require steel shot, but you are not planning on hunting at all so no worries.

If you just want to shoot crap, make smoke and bolt flashlights, laser beams and metal detectors to something, get the Mossberg and have fun.

Page generated in 0.02021 seconds with 8 queries