View Single Post
Old December 4, 2022, 05:59 PM   #73
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Yup.

It's very easy to understand why typical open sights can be very accurate. You can see that the rear notch is tiny and the front sight doesn't have much room to move around in it. You can also easily see when it's perfectly centered and lined up for elevation.

It can be sort of counterintuitive that peep sights are also very accurate because it seems like there's so much room for the front sight to move around in the aperture when you're looking through it. Also, it seems like there's no way to really verify that the front sight is properly centered.

When I started shooting aperture sights, it was hard for me to get my head around the whole idea of them and how they worked. But after I shot them for awhile it was easy to see that they did work and then I got to really like them.
Good point and York probably felt the same.

Cooper was also an adamant proponent of the "ghost ring" big aperture rear peep sight. I felt the same as you when I first was taught to use a peep. No question, when compared to tangent iron sights, it is faster to get on target, especially for older eyes.

Page generated in 0.03405 seconds with 8 queries