View Single Post
Old April 9, 2021, 07:38 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
What I see as a possible remedy would be yes all 80% are serialized and documentation Hass to be filled out and kept for all that are sold . No background check is needed but you still fill out the same type of paperwork . Basically everything a gun manufacturer distributor and gun store has to do to sell a firearm except nobody hast to do a background check . This will allow them to trace the history from the manufacture of the 80% to the first owner .
As usual, the crux of the matter will be in the language of any new regulation they enact, or new interpretation issued to change the enforcement of existing law and regulations.

What is an "80% receiver"? It's an arbitrary determination that the manufacturer can finish it THIIIIS far without it's becoming a firearm. Drill one more hole or make one more cut, and it's a firearm. But it's an arbitrary call. Who can say with any amount of exactitude that this receiver still requires 20% of the work to be done, but that one over there only needs 18%? I've seen ads for 60% 1911 receivers. If "80%" receivers are going to henceforth be considered "ghost guns" and subject to serial numbering, background checks, and sale through FFLs (even though, by definition, they are still NOT firearms) ... what about 60% receivers? What about 40% receivers? What about the cast-your-own polymer AR-15 lowers?

I don't know if they have any left but Sarco used to sell leftover raw frame castings for Para-Ordnance 1911s. They weren't ingots, they were castings, and they looked about as much like a gun as that cookie the kid got banned from school for chewing into the profile of a gun, but the [very] rough outline is there. Would those be considered to be ghost guns?

[Edit to add] Yes, Sarco still has Para castings. These aren't 80% receivers, they aren't 60% receivers, these are raw castings. Are thet "ghost guns"?

https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-frame-...frame-casting/

We don't know. We'll have to wait to find out.
Jeepaholic

Page generated in 0.02290 seconds with 8 queries