View Single Post
Old March 3, 2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Tim R

I would go buy a Speer 13 reloading manual and read the "how too" section in the front of the book. I suggest the Speer 13 because they use real rifles and pistols for their load testing unlike some of the others who just use a universal receiver. I started with a Speer 10 and needed only to read the "how too" section to make my first loads in '06. If you question your scale maybe a set of check weights might be a good idea.

Be sure to follow the safety steps when working up loads. Those who go right to the top of the chart often find they are in trouble..... Remember you are your own QC. Load sloppy and you will have sloppy ammo.

Keep a note book on your reloads. After you have been reloading for awhile you can use it for trouble shooting and it will help keep you from repeating mistakes.

You don't have to reload a whole box of 50 to try out a load. I load a mim of 5 to check to make sure the load is safe. When working up for group size, I load ten to give me 2 groups of 5.

Don't get all tightened up when different charges show a difference on the target even though you scope is sighted in.

I find a load my rifle likes and stay with that load. Primers can also make a difference on group size as does bullet seating depth.

Quote:
This method works very well and you don't have to waste money on a Stoney Point guage.
I went about it a little differently until I got the stoney Point gauge. I've found for me it's hardly a waste of money and use it everytime I load for long range with my AR.

As a reloader, you will find you will look at a rifle or pistol a little different as you know a set of dies will make it easy to shoot.

Good luck

Page generated in 0.02728 seconds with 8 queries