View Single Post
Old October 10, 2018, 12:14 AM   #11
HiBC

I started eating pronghorn in 1969,as a high school kid finding his own way.
Nobody taught me,and of my own doing,I've had antelope that lived up(or down) to its reputation for being gamy,livery,etc.

I also,at that time,had some vague notion the game was supposed to hang in the garage a week with the hide on.Where I got that,I don't know,but I promise it will get you gamy,livery,unpleasant antelope.Especially since late Sept season is usually pretty warm.

Once I learned what works for me,I've had nothing but good antelope. Its no more gamy than anything you buy in a store,and I can feed it to folks who don't eat game meat,and they just want more.

I start before opening day by getting my refridgerator essentially empty.I clean it.
I get some of that plastic barricade construction fence.
What for? I put it under the quarters/chunks when I refrigerate it for air circulation.

I've hunted the same ground a long time.Private land,I know the herd.Not bragging,its just not that hard.(Don't get me wrong,I'm not saying a Monster Buck like the OP's is easy! I'm just saying I know this ranch and herd) I get one shot,one kill on standing animals.
They may be on the move,but not when I shoot.

I get them field dressed immediately.I take my time. I am meticulous at extracting the full bladder without losing any urine to the body cavity.Little nylon tie-wraps are your friend

Many folks cannot even identify the bladder and pay no attention.They tend to marinate the meat in antelope urine for a bit.I don't recommend it.

I transport it back to the ranch.I don't use an ATV to hunt,but we save some time using one for that.
Sure,a short time for "Ohhh,AAAhhh,the story...maybe something cold and a snack..but then it gets hung up and skinned out.I find little vise grips helpful skinning.
All traumatized flesh is trimmed out.No trace of windpipe is in the carcass. Care is taken to minimize hair on the meat.

From here,the meat must get cooled out,it must be kept dry,to skin over,and it must be protected from flies.The gauze game bags are pretty good.

I generally load it up,make the hour drive to my house,use the bleach cleaned counter tops to break it down to quarters or chunks that will fit in the fridge,
And I put it on top of a few layers of that plastic fencing in the fridge.

Now,my meat is getting cold,fly free,the same day it was killed.

I drive back to the ranch.The sky is big. The coyotes sing,I am among friends.

I camp.

When I get home,I process and freeze.

Legs and neck,etc with membranes,etc,require low/slow cooking to break down collagen.Maybe a Ragu.

Tenderloins,inside,I medallion in some garlic butter. Back straps,are chops.

I don't do roasts.They are easy for ME to ruin. You may enjoy yours.

Everything else that will make a frying pan steak gets cut that way.

At least one hindquarter,maybe both,get sliced to thin,lean "roundsteaks" for jerky. I put a Morton Tenderquick cure on mine,then smoke it till its leathery. Finish in the food dryer.If you want to eat any of it yourself,don't tell the kids about it.

I don't make burger or sausage.All the rest gets made into stew meat size pieces.

My favorite way to cook it is season,flour,brown in hot garlic butter.Leav some pink.Put it on a couple of plates.Hand one to a friend and open two beers.

If you should spill some beer on the browning floured meat in the pan,it will gravy up. I hope you boiled some pasta.
You can keep going,mushrooms,peas,stroghanof,etc. These pieces of meat are both simple and versatile.

Good stuff.

Last edited by HiBC; October 10, 2018 at 10:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.02696 seconds with 8 queries