View Single Post
Old July 10, 2018, 07:55 AM   #7
rodfac

KY guy here....heavy humidity in the summers, but not so much (<70%) down in the basement where the gun safe is. I run a dehumidifyer down there which helps I think.

I store all of my handguns, upright in a notched rack of my own construction, on the top shelf of the safe. I added a strip of poly-cloth to the notches to cushion the barrels, and the guns are oiled on a bi-monthly rotation, or whenever they've been handled. With this regime, I've never had a rust issue.

Do some research on the type of cloth that will not absorb water if you cover the notches doing it my way. Standing the guns on their butts, with only the bbls. touching the notches seems to work out well, preventing the 'gun safe rash' so prevalent with many used guns.

The safe, BTW, does not have add'l anti-rusting devices...de-humidifying rods etc., but these are a damned good idea in my estimation. Too, the safe keeps the dust away that's generated by my adjacent wood-working shop.

The worst thing for any blued or stainless gun in my opinion, is to store it in any type of leather holster. Chrome or vegetable tanned hides, it doesn't matter...they'll attract moisture. And as we all know, politicians and rust are a gun's mortal enemies.

YMMV, Rod

Quote:
goldenrod and three boxes of desiccant
Good idea!!!
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; July 10, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.03520 seconds with 8 queries