View Single Post
Old April 13, 2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Sevens

I have my own system. It may not be as detailed as some, but it works VERY well for me.

On the box of ammo itself I use a 2" by 2" square post-it note and on the note, I have caliber, bullet maker/style/weight, powder type and charge, and COAL. I also have the number of rounds in that box (helps me for when I shoot up only a portion of them in a range session) and the date I built them. That's all that I keep on the box.

On my reloading spread sheet, I have a dated log that keeps track of everything that I ever produce from my bench with the same info that's on the post-it note. This way I can cross reference any box I find by date with my records on my spreadsheet.

On a different page of my spreadsheet is a page for that particular caliber. On here are two separate lists -- one of load data that is triple checked that I intend to try, and the other list is load data and combos that I have tried and the results of those trials. On this page I keep things like FPS and estimated pressure if I have them, load techniques or hints that might help at the bench and I also keep my source for the data or how I came up with the data if I used a combo of sources and ideas for the load.

The blatant thing that is missing from my data is primer type/size. The way I figure it, I always use the same primers and the only time I vary from it is when I find some other primer for cheap or on the rare occasion when I can't find my regular primers. In that event, I'll usually denote that I've used different primers. I'll never develop a new load with some of these other primers and I never, EVER use a different primer for anything that I'd consider to be a hot or max load. As an example, I've substituted Winchester small pistol primers in my oft-used .38 Special LSWC load because I know it's not a barn burner and when launched from a .357 Mag anyway, I don't even give it half a thought to being too hot.

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries