View Single Post
Old September 15, 2011, 11:09 PM   #99
Bill Akins

Two self cocking muzzleloaders actually manufactured in the 19th century.
The revolving rifle was clockwork style wind up spring loaded and was select fire for either semi-auto or full auto!
A muzzleloading, revolving rifle, full auto sub machine gun in the 1850's!

Both the muzzleloading revolving rifle and muzzleloading revolving handgun are both operated by a clockwork type of wind up spring mechanism. Both of them were manufactured by the same company "Mershon & Hollingsworth".

There's not a lot of information about them online. I post them here to show that some early 19th century attempts were made to do what I propose can be done better today with less fouling black powder substitutes, but instead of using a clockwork spring mechanism, using gas or recoil forces.

"Mershon & Hollingsworth clockwork self-cocking conversion of Colt 1860"

Here's one that sold on an auction site for $16000,00 and the text that went with that auction....

"Serial no. 3803, .44 caliber. Standard cylinder and 7 1/2-inch barrel with New York markings. Custom brass frame with case-hardened hammer and oil-finished walnut grips. Right side of frame with circular German silver fitting inscribed: Mershon & Hollingsworth/Sept. 8th 1863. Left side of frame fitted with wheel-shaped steel panel cocking device with folding rim. Evidently designed to create a self-cocking revolver similar to the later British Fosbery revolver. Rear of frame with fire-blued lever engaging the hammer and evidently serving as a safety. Elongated hammer.
Condition: Fine. Barrel retains 90% plus blue finish mixed with brown patina. Cylinder retaining much blue finish.
Notes: Probably the only example in existence.
Estimate: 15000 - 20000".

And the muzzleloading revolving cylinder semi or full auto rifle by the same manufacturer. I have no idea how that backwards looking trigger operated. But this is the one that was select fire between semi-auto and full auto!
That raised piece behind the receiver in the smaller photo is not a rear sight, but is the wind up ratcheting lever for the spring to operate the system.

Text for above rifle....

"Mershon and Hollingsworth revolving cylinder automatic rifle. Patented in 1855. A spring mechanisim automatically fired and rotated the cylinder. The trigger could be locked in back position for full automatic fire. To wind up the spring, a ratchet lever is located just behind the receiver. Six shot percussion .40 caliber."

These are very interesting designs, but they are both clockwork style spring loaded to operate the action. I'm not really interested in that type of wind up spring "automaton" mechanism. It's okay but I'm more interested in using recoil or gas operation for a muzzleloading semi-auto or full auto.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; September 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries