Thread: Polishing Brass
View Single Post
Old February 3, 2011, 10:54 AM   #37
F. Guffey

Again, I use vinegar, vinegar and nothing, I have purchased cases that would have taken weeks to tumble, even then their was no promise tumbling would improve the color. The cases have been available because no one wanted to make the effort, with vinegar the cases at .01 cent each was a bargain. TIME Time is a factor, maximum time for cleaning is 15 minutes, then wash. In the old days we called it receipt, in the old B & M reloading manuel they called it 2% H2SO3 and water And they made it very clear there was a time limit, 3 to 4 minutes and the cases required washing in water,,,, twice.... boiling water,,,and then they called it 'pickling' or preparing for long time storage. When finished the cases had a black finish. Vinegar was/is more user-friendly, again before it turns green after vinegar can be used on a salad or used on the scalp or face before final scrubbing, around here everything else gets WD40.

As to vinegar and water, not a problem, the difference when adding water is 'time' instead of 15 minutes MAXIMUM (maximum for the worst of cases, other cases that would require additional time in the tumbler would not require the maximum time), time could be increases or used for cases that are not as dirty as my .01 cent cases.

I use vinegar to reduce tumbling by days, if the cases are not heavily tarnished they do not require vinegar.

After cleaning in vinegar and washing and rinsing the cases going into the tumbler are on par with cases that have been fired at the range and take about the same amount of tumbling, again, I use vinegar and nothing, I use corn tumbling media and nothing, and when adding stuff to my oil in the old days I use oil and Reslone because they promised me if it did not help my oil, it would not hurt my oil. Then there was Marvel Mystery oil.

Cases that shine: Shining is a product of a method and or technique, if I am going to load 20 cases I will spin to shine, it takes less time to spin than it takes to tumble, if I am loading 60+ cases I tumble.

F. Guffey

When the cases being cleaned in vinegar turns pink/orange the cases have been in the vinegar too long AND I only clean cases in vinegar once for the life of the case, meaning the only cases that are cleaned in vinegar are cases that I add to cases I have sorted and put away, if it is necessary.

Page generated in 0.02739 seconds with 8 queries