View Single Post
Old January 8, 2009, 07:39 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've shot a lot of pins in years past. Very, very addicting.

9mm simply doesn't do a very good job. 147s are a bit better than the lighter bullets, but not by much.

.38 Special with heavy bullets? About the same as 9mm.

.357 gets a lot better, especially with the heavier bullets. One guy I was shooting with was using 200 grain bullets. Those worked very well.

.44 Special. I've seen several people have a lot of success with the .44. I've never used my .44 Special for pins, though.

.41 Magnum/.44 Magnum. As much as you will ever need. I don't have a .44 Magnum, but I do have a .41. With 215 gr. bullets going around 900-1,000 fps the pins go with authority.

.45 ACP is the gold plated standard for pin shooting as far as most people are concerned. I have a Springfield Mil Spec 1911 and pin shooting is about the only reason I use it.

10mm also can do pretty well. I had a 10mm for a time and tried 180 gr. cast lead bullets and they did a good job as long as I hit close to center of the pin. If I got either high or low, it would simply spin them on the table a bit faster than they would spin from a 9mm hit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02403 seconds with 8 queries