View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 07:35 PM   #53
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

All I know is my two oldest friends, my brother my cousin and myself don't talk about on line service, just the things around it and of people we knew and loved or knew and despised. All of us except my brother are all boogered up with various ailments, some of which can be traced back to our service and some just from old age. Only my younger brother is still working, at 66 he is drawing SS and driving long haul loads all over the country because he can't afford to stay home. You do not hear war stories from me and unless you drug me or get me drunk, (a good trick since I quit drinking 50+ years ago) you never will.

My brother wears his Viet Nam veterans hat and he is always being approached by guys at bus stops because of it. Some thank him, some buy him a meal, but about half have to tell him about their time in country. Some of them are obviously 20 years to young. A huge number of them claim to have been snipers or CIA operatives and then he calls me and puts them on the line with me. Now the fun begins. So yeah my skepticism level is at a high because it's so easy to pull them off their little white horse and strip their play armor off. Those that really were there are also easy to identify. I prefer talking to them because we don't tell war stories to each other. It's more about places we both knew or at least heard of, people we knew in common or had heard about. Of course the obligatory medical resume, we all share that, its an old codger thing.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries