Thread: travling guns
View Single Post
Old April 5, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 acre woods
...can you travel from state to state with your gun...
As Aguila Blanca points out, that can be complicated. He's given you some good advice.

A lot depends on whether you're just passing through or plan to stay awhile. And it can also depend on whether your talking about handguns or long guns.

If you're only passing through, the FOPA (federal law dealing with traveling with guns between States) can apply, but only if you satisfy its requirements. And we seen reports of people having trouble in a number of State, principally New York and New Jersey, even when they've complied with the FOPA. If you Google "FOPA, safe passage" you'll get links to a number of discussions of the law on various gun boards as well as some further explanation of the law's requirement.

If you're planning on staying some place, you'll need to do some research on the laws there regarding possession of guns. Handgunlaws.us can be useful. This is also a good source for some useful books for someone traveling with guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 acre woods
...If so why is it you can't purchase a gun from another state and bring it home without a ffl.
I know this only applies to a pistol only seeing I bought a rifle in Kentucky and I live in Illinois...
That's federal law, and it really applies to both handguns and long guns. So in general someone may not buy a gun in a State other than his home State without going through an FFL. It does work a little differently depending on whether you're talking about handguns or long guns.

If you're interested in the details, I go through them in this post.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries