View Single Post
Old December 14, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
c0nspire

"The obvious advantage to a handheld vs. a dedicated gun light would be the numerous uses of the flashlight off of the gun."

I set my AR15 up with the same thinking in mind. Go for a Larue QD offset mount and don't look back: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=196. I mount my light in the 11 O'clock position and it's outstanding. Yes, you're paying more, but the Larue mount is top notch, won't loosen, and is super easy to remove and snap back on. I have used all manner of light mounts now and if you want to keep removing that light, nothing else comes close.

"I am leaning towards the TLR-1s, so I can dedicate it to the rifle. I like how it is made to fit/work on a gun, that it's a blinding 160 lumens, and also has a strobe function."

The strobe function leaves something to be desired IMHO. I bought a TLR-2s before I purchased the Larue/G2 setup above. You have to double-tap the switch on the TLR-1s and 2s. You can only double tap down on the left side of the switch and up on the right side (as mounted with the pic rail facing up, as if mounted on a handgun). You cannot reverse the switch either (I already tried that). That narrows down your mounting options to be able to use the strobe. Additionally, you have to double tap the switch very quickly. I can't repeat it consistently, and as such, find the strobe to be all but useless. It's a fantastic product, just know that the strobe function isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Page generated in 0.03641 seconds with 8 queries