View Single Post
Old January 24, 2010, 02:17 PM   #44
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
...Modifying a trigger can only a factor if you are claiming it was an accident. If you had to shoot someone on purpose, and you hit what you were aiming at, the weight of the trigger is irrelevant In no intentional defensive shooting has trigger weight been an issue. Cite one. ....
If you want to believe that, be my guest. The general issue has been discussed many times. See the threads I've linked to in post 26.

There's also been discussion about why people don't cite cases. The short answer seems to be that the vast majority of self defense shooting incidents involves box stock guns.

Quote:
....If brought up, and your attorney can't dispose of the notion in a hurry, you have way bigger troubles than whether or not you got a trigger job....
What sort of motion do you have in mind? And yes, if you're on trial you have a lot more troubles than just a trigger job. But at least the trigger job wouldn't have been one of them it you hadn't had it done.

Quote:
...It can be easily and factually argued that a good, 4-5 lb trigger prevents errant rounds from hitting unintended targets....
First, those sorts of arguments tend to be too "inside baseball" and put a jury of people with no knowledge of, or interest in, guns to sleep.

But second, a 4 to 5 pound trigger shouldn't be a problem, at least on a 1911. I can find a number of good police armors who will testify that a 4 to 5 pound trigger on a 1911 is appropriate on a duty gun.

It's the triggers lighter at, say, 3 pounds or lighter that will be the problem. With a very light trigger, the prosecutor will have no trouble finding police armorers who will testify that such a trigger is reckless and unacceptable on a service gun. And now the prosecutor argues that the jury should consider your reckless and trigger happy disposition when they evaluate your story about how you had no choice but to shoot that nice young gangbanger to death.

Page generated in 0.04622 seconds with 8 queries