View Single Post
Old November 6, 2015, 05:50 AM   #2
HiBC

What it is worth may be "priceless" if that is what it is worth to you.
Other than that,it is worth the the highest offer that you will accept.
Smart alec answer,yes.
If you go to a gunshow,and look at the dealer asking prices???It might be $3800.00.
Take it to a local gun store or pawn shop,they may offer $300.

I will send you to the Civilan Marksmanship Program web page.Browse a while.

They are the best deal on Garands.

I would guess you will be fortunate enough to get a reply from Mr kraigwy here. He is all about M1 Garands and those who shoot them.
He is a gentleman worth paying attention to.

A caution:This is standard M1 Garand advice.They were built for a particular specification of ammo.It is important that the pressure that is tapped off into the gas cylinder near the muzzle is in the proper pressure range.

If the pressure is too high,it will abuse and damage that long operating rod that goes from the gas cylinder to the bolt and receiver.

This is important because the 30-06 ammo for hunting that you buy at the local gun store will LIKELY have excessive gas pressure at the gas port and likely will damage your rifle.Don't use that stuff!!
(You will hear more on this.there are"workaround" special gas cylinder lock screws,etc.Be careful)

If you join the CMP,they havea deal on Greek Ammo right now.It comes in the 8 round clips your rifle uses.

There is some match ammo available in Garand spec.I think Hornady makes it.

Handloading is what I do.There are recipes available that duplicate original spec ammo.
I hope you will treasure that rifle and take care of it as a piece of history,and something passed down to you.Learn all you can about it,Enjoy.
Maybe you can attend a CMP Vintage Garand clinic.
The CMP has a facebook page,too.
Oh,PS.Some older US military and some foreign military ammo will have corrosive primers.You need to learn about those.Proper cleaning is essential or your rifle will be rusted to ruin.

Page generated in 0.02254 seconds with 8 queries