View Single Post
Old January 13, 2015, 02:48 PM   #16
45Gunner

Nobody gets a gun in their hand until they are drilled on the safe gun handling rules. Once those rules are down pat, they get to pick up an empty gun. No one is allowed to point a gun at another shooter, me, or even themselves. The first time, if it happens...and it does every once in awhile, they get a stern warning. The second time, they are finished shooting for the day and not allowed back with the class until they can recite the safe gun handling rules as if they know them rather than repeat them back like they memorized something for the sake of remembering a few sentences.

In a club I instruct in, an older gentlemen just didn't get it. He consistently pointed his gun at other shooters without realizing what he was doing. When it was firmly brought to his attention, he said he was unaware he was doing that. The next time he did it, he was not allowed to shoot with the club until he received some private instruction (from me.) When I thought he was cognizant of what he was doing, I turned him loose. It didn't take long for him to point the gun sideways in his lane. He has been banned from shooting with the club until he can prove he can shoot with others without putting them in danger (and I'm almost positive that will not happen). Just as a side note, this gentlemen took a gun cleaning class from me and actually pointed his gun at another student without realizing he was doing it. "But it was empty" was his defense. What about the safe gun handling rules? How many stories could you tell about what you have witnessed or read about "empty guns.?"

Age should not be a factor when a person stops driving but the criteria should be their cognitive abilities. Some people decline rapidly at age 70 while others are very sharp at age 90. As instructors, we should be very aware of our older students and pay close attention to their situational awareness and cognitive abilities. The particular gentlemen in this story seemed very sharp when engaged in conversation but when a gun was in his hand, his brain appeared to stop functioning.
NRA Life Member

Page generated in 0.02517 seconds with 8 queries