View Single Post
Old December 16, 2013, 10:37 AM   #21
SansSouci

JLK,

CA has some of the largest black bears in the nation. I've seen bears that weighted at least 400 lbs roaming the Sierra Nevada. There are huge bears roaming the San Gabriel Mountains that are just outside of LA. When you get a chance, Google: "Samson hot tub bear." That 700 lb+ specimen came out of the San Gabriel Mountains.

A game warden told me that CA black bears are among the largest in the nation because our temperate climate allows for shorter hibernation periods, and campers and homeowners in bear habitat leave a substantial food supply for them.

When I'm off trails in the Sierra Nevada, I carry a 1911A1 loaded with 9 rounds of 230 grain +P .45 ACP ammo. For me, a 1911A1 is easier to carry, quicker to reload, and has a natural point. However, I can see the rationale of going with a .357 Mag. In fact, the .357 Mag might just be the best trail weapon.

BTW, another factor influencing my decision to go with a 1911A1 is CA has over 30 million people, not all are law abiding. Years ago "Outside" magazine ranked Angeles National Forrest as the most deadly in the nation. The San Gabriels are in Angeles National Forrest.

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries