View Single Post
Old October 13, 2017, 03:55 AM   #146
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
To the NICS argument. A five day waiting period would have not affected most folks anyway because of private sales and would not have created a federal defecto gun registry.
A five day waiting period would have not affected most folks anyway....
A ban on bump-fire stocks would not affect most folks anyway....

There's a bit of similarity between those two lines, and a lot of difference.

That 5 day wait would have affected everyone desiring to purchase a new handgun, or any handgun from an FFL dealer. AND it would have overridden state laws where less than a 5 day wait was allowed.

At the time the law was proposed, my state already had a 3 day waiting period for handguns, which was waived if you had a concealed pistol permit.
The Brady waiting period would have overridden this, and removed the waiver.

When issues before Congress reach a certain point, Congress will pass something. It is inevitable. What gets passed is usually under the name of the issue as it was first brought up. But, under that name what the bill actually is and does can change hugely between what is initially proposed and what is finally passed.

because there absolutely was going to be some kind of "background check law" passed. You can't stop a flood, but you might be able to channel the flow and minimize the damage. Instead of a five day national wait, we got NO federal waiting period, and the "instant" check, done over the phone by the FFL. Because the NRA was willing to support that compromise, many still wail about how the NRA didn't defend the 2nd amendment, and betrayed us all.

Had the NRA not done so, I believe we would today have a national 5 day waiting period, and we would still have people wailing about how the NRA didn't defend the 2nd amendment, and betrayed us all.

I ask you, which of those situations is worse??

and, I just gotta ask...is " a federal defecto gun registry" a typo, or a pun???

Page generated in 0.03056 seconds with 8 queries