View Single Post
Old May 15, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

The Insurrectionist Idea

Since I buy from Amazon, I got this e-mail ad from them

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...2069150_snp_dp

It refers to a new book on gun rights in the USA.

Guns, Democracy, and the Insurrectionist Idea (Paperback)
by Joshua Horwitz (Author), Casey Anderson (Author)

The gist is that:

Quote:
In Guns, Democracy, and the Insurrectionist Idea, Josh Horwitz and Casey Anderson reveal that the proponents of this view base their argument on a deliberate misreading of history. The Insurrectionist myth has been forged by twisting the facts of the American Revolution and the founding of the United States, the denial of civil rights to African-Americans after the Civil War, and the rise of the Third Reich under Adolf Hitler. Here, Horwitz and Anderson set the record straight. Then, challenging the proposition that more guns equal more freedom, they expose Insurrectionism---not government oppression---as the true threat to freedom in the U.S. today.
The authors are well known anti-gun folk. Interestingly, we have discussed here about how the argument of defense against tyranny may not have so much persuasive power. Also that some of the revolution advocates come from one side of the political spectrum, etc. Can the defense against tyranny argument be blunted? We hashed that out.

I'm not advocating buying this - but if you are a serious combatant, so to speak in the gun rights arguments, you might want to see what they say.

NOTE: This post is FYI and I haven't read the book. Nor do I endorse what the blurb says. So don't argue with me about it.

Glenn

Page generated in 0.02927 seconds with 8 queries