Thread: breaking flints
View Single Post
Old September 4, 2013, 04:12 PM   #16
blindpig

Hey Y'all,
Finally got back to the flintlock....
It's been a while since I'd looked at it(probably since the late 80's), so with the info from you guys and hope in my heart LOL! I started to look'er over.
Seems the "shadetree" gunsmith was right about the hole for the frizzen pivot is drilled crooked. Looking from the butt of the rifle forward the hole is closer to the muzzle on the barrel side and closer to the butt on the outside of the frizzen. It's binding the frizzen travel,if it's well lubricated it will function slowly(and break flints). What it appears the STgunsmith did was bend the outside of the fork that the pivot pin attaches too, slightly closed to help align the holes,which causes the frizzen to bind some.Don't know why I didn't check this out sooner but guess somthin' came up and all I remembered was the dang thing wouldn't work so I just stored it till now.
Anyway I gently filed the frizzen pivot holes a little egg shaped(very slightly) and gently filed the outside of the fork to make it parallel to the frizzen and WHAT DO YA KNOW!!! she's throwing sparks like a champ and hasn't broken the flint yet! Can't wait to get out and cranke'er up.
Really want to thank you guys for the help encouragement.
Will let you know how it shoots....
Don

Page generated in 0.02410 seconds with 8 queries