View Single Post
Old December 8, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
gators52

1st Gun: .22 but which one?

I'm looking to pick up my first gun and I would prefer that it is a .22 lr revolver. I'm not sure if I want SA or DA yet (this is where I need help). I want a .22 for cheap practice on my trigger pulls.

I would prefer to find something in the 400-500 dollar range.

My biggest concern is that it seems good DA revolvers are hard to find that aren't S&W (currently out of my price range). I'd rather save a few bucks on my .22 and use that towards the purchase of a very nice (most likely S&W revolver) home defense revolver in the next 6 months.

I know there are some great choices for SA revolvers. The single six and ten which i've shot many times and love them.

Does it make sense to get a DA revolver so I can also practice shooting in groups of 2 or 3. Seems like a skill worth knowing for a defense situation.

I tried the Ruger sp101 .22 yesterday at the range. While I liked the gun in SA the DA trigger pull was very heavy. I found myself just shooting SA the whole day because of it. I dont think I'd be willing to buy that gun over the single six/ten because of the price difference unless there are easy and cheap ways to reduce the DA trigger pull.

I guess the basic question is, is there any reason not to get the ruger single six/ten for purposes of fun shooting and using the gun to increase my skill that will translate to skill with my next home defense revolver.

Page generated in 0.02134 seconds with 8 queries