View Single Post
Old March 12, 2009, 12:26 AM   #23
Littlehoov

Quote:
147 gr ranger sxt will go all the way through and break a rib as it goes. there have been many a deer die dead in their tracks with a 22 cal round to the head. it's not my first choice of a deer round but it will kill a deer.
Isnt that only available to law enforcement? Or did I miss something. A google for that ammo takes me to a site I can purchase it (currently backordered) but its also a LEO oriented site.

Quote:
Here are some popular, premium 124 gr. JHP +P loads:

Gold Dot: 410 ft. lbs.
Buffalo Bore: 461 ft. lbs.
Black Hills: 430 ft. lbs.
CorBon: 434 ft. lbs.
Ok, most of the .357 loads only generate a couple hundred pounds more
energy than that. For example, Im almost positive daddy shoots a 158 gr JHP bullet out of a Ruger Blackhawk. So that would put it in the high 500s probably as far as energy goes. Which Is it really that big of a difference? Or is it just the bullet designs on the 9mm? Educate me.

I saw that article as well. But unfortunately my Hi-Point is not rated for +P+ ammo, and I wouldnt attempt too shoot it personally.

Youre right though, I would have to be very accurate, I would be leary of hitting any bone whatsoever. Despite my comments above I know a deer's shoulder is pretty thick, but so is a humans, so I wouldnt shoot a person through the shoulder from the side in attempt to kill them.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. You made a good point Ricky, it would be extra weight to carry, and sometimes I end up packing a lot of stuff as it is. Another 3 pounds that I quite likely wouldnt use would be unnecessary.

What if I had posed the question about the .45 ACP? I was going to get one of those in a Hi-Point, until I saw how huge the gun was, and that it did not fit me well at all.

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries