View Single Post
Old December 9, 2016, 01:50 PM   #8
Binky Nabob

Changing cartridge guides on pre-64 Winchester 94

Some years ago, I changed a 30-30 to 38-55 not realizing that there were different cartridge guides used. For some time, I used shortened cartridges in order to make it feed but felt it reduced accuracy. So, the other day, I decided to install the proper guides and I have some advice. First, I made a narrow off-set screwdriver out of a 3' piece of 3/8x1/4" bar and a couple of 1/8" hex bits. These could have been bigger but they worked. You do need to remove the bolt and whatever comes before that. You also need to remove the reloading gate. Now, if I were ever to do it again, God forbid, is how it would go. First loosen the left guide's screw with the off-set. You can then use a small long-shanked screwdriver to do the rest through the loading gate. Then loosen the right with the offset, then remove with the tiny screwdriver through the left screw hole. Then replace the right, screwing it into place with the tiny driver and tightening with the off-set. Then do the left, using the little screwdriver first through the loading gate and then tightening with the off-set. Simple. I wish I had done it this way the first time.

Page generated in 0.02660 seconds with 8 queries