View Single Post
Old July 9, 2014, 01:11 AM   #13
bamaranger

big fan

I'm a big fan. I'd have to stop and count the number of Leupolds I'm running, maybe 8-10. Never had one back for service due to failure. And my rifles get shot a bit, club matches, long 100 day+ deer season, etc. All mine are "2's". and all but one were bought or swapped for used. About half or more are fixed power numbers.

Regards rimfires, Leupold does make a family of scopes intended for .22's. They are typically marked, "Rimfire, or RF, or Rimfire Special" something like that. They are also rather small, easily spotted next to a full size scope.

I wouldn't want a rimfire scope on a .270 for a couple of reasons, but resistance to recoil wouldn't be one of them. But I do believe that a full size fixed 4x, intended for centerfire, is still a useful item. Me, I wouldn't run out and buy a variable if I had a Leupold fixed 4x, full size, if I was hunting east of the MS for deer, hogs, or B-bear, unless....... I was in a setting where I did a lot of hunting/shooting over open areas; right of ways, ag fields, or low cutover. A bit more "X" power there might help. I'm a fan of fixed 6x BTW for that very reason.

But.... I made my longest shot to date on a whitetail on a gas line R.O.W. with a fixed 4x and a .308. Seeing and holding on the deer was no problem, but figuring out my hold, over distance and down a severe grade, was. More X power would not have helped, I needed more brain power.

Page generated in 0.02156 seconds with 8 queries