View Single Post
Old April 29, 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
HKFan9

For starts I would like to say its a nice build. You clearly sank some money into it, and time, and it shows, and whats important is you are happy with it.

Quote:
Your Mileage May Vary...sorry about your experience with your billet.

I chose a billet upper and lower for two reasons

1) Billet pieces are machined with EXACTING control with the tightest tolerances possible all of which are precisely controlled by a non-tiring computer. While forged parts are susceptible to manufacturing slop - ESPECIALLY in today's time where factories are trying to crank out as many pieces as possible... I felt much more confident in purchasing a billet versus a forged piece.

2) As you said - the looks. But not just for the looks - the upper I bought has provisions specifically for the B.A.D. Lever which the forged ones don't...causing many negative reviews for the lever by forged upper owners...
Not going to argue with you that Billet can and is tighter tolerances but your focusing a little much on it due to the platform. It is an AR-15 not a bench rest gun, and your still running a Mil-spec'd 16'' barrel, so any mechanical accuracy you would gain over a sloppy fitted forged mil-spec reciever would be minuscule really. Generally speaking even a dreaded wobbly lower/upper fit has no real world effect on mechanical accuracy unless firing from a supported bench rest style position where you may be resting the rifle on part of the lower or magazine.

Suppressors also often throw off point of impact, you build, although very very nice, still seems set up for more of a combat / gaming role, not a precision, so role. So all and all you can just admit that you liked the Billet better because it looks cooler than trying to justify it to yourself and us (teasing of course).

I do like how it is cut out for the BAD lever. Looks nice and stream lined. I have a BAD lever currently on my BCM HSP Jack Carbine and it does not rub, guess others haven't been so lucky however.

It is refreshing to see a nicely done build rather than a thrown together basic carbine m4gery due to all the demand right now.

Top Notch build I would say, however the rail isn't my favorite, but its still quality, the looks aren't for me however.

Page generated in 0.06291 seconds with 8 queries