View Single Post
Old September 4, 2008, 12:32 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Glock doesn't like reloads

More so than many companies. In their early years Glock became notorious for denying warranty work on their guns that failed, claiming it had been fired with reloads. This used to happen a lot. I don't know if it is still the case or not, but they company got a reputation (probably not deserved) for ducking out of fixing their guns by saying the problem was caused by reloads.

Now, they may have been correct in many of the instances, but there were a number of incidents where the owners claimed never to have fired a single reload (and supposedly provided proof - although I have no idea what that might be) and the company denied the repair as warranty work, although they would fix them for a price.

I won't try to pass judgement, I was never involved, but there were a lot of stories going around. Problems with lead bullets in the polygonal barrels, unsupported chambers and outright ka-booms (especially in calibers larger than 9mm) these stories went around for quite a while. Do some searching and you will find them.

No maker will warranty their gun with reloaded ammo, simply because there is no way for them to control what reloaders put in their ammo. Nor should they. Some of the people reloading ammo don't have a clue about safety, or at least the don't load like they do.

Another "story" was that Glock was so against reloads that all the brass they generated from test firings was sold as scrap, and only to scrap dealers who would sign a statement that the brass would not be reloaded.

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries