View Single Post
Old April 1, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1
kidcoltoutlaw

For anyone that has blow a cartridge case head in a pistol

I blew a 40 S&W case head off with a 12 grain load of Long shot with a 135 Nosler. In P229 40 using a 3X or 4X fired case it blew the extractor and top of the right grip off. The case stayed in the gun but the head was gone.
The more I look at the case that blew the case head off the more I think something else happened. It stayed in the barrel the head was gone . There is a wave in the case wall . It makes me think that maybe the bullet did not seat right and buckled the case just a very little. I just don't see how there could be a wrinkle in a case that took that much pressure. The same thing or close to it can happen in a revolver when you put to much crimp. In the case of a revolver the case will be cut almost in too when it fires. The crimp ring does its job but is adjusted wrong and pushes the case down even more. It was not the crimp ring but I'm thinking maybe the bullet did not seat just right and the LEE FCD ironed the case out enough for it to feed ?? There was one case that did not feel just right but the RCBS Pro 2000 is so strong it could almost crush a car. So I did not check it must be the only time I did not its always nothing when I check it anyway.

Am I crazy or could I be on to something here ? Again I say how could there be a wave or bulge in a case that took that much pressure. I later took a case and loaded it 10 times with 12 grains of Longshot but this time I used a Bar-Sto barrel. That is I loaded one case 10 times with a max load without a problem. That load will push a 135 at 1567 in a 5 inch P229 40 it smokes. Feel free to tell me I'm full of s$it,

Thanks,

Thanks,Keith

Page generated in 0.02615 seconds with 8 queries