View Single Post
Old January 29, 2015, 09:01 AM   #15
kraigwy

I've been a firearms instructor for about 40 years. LE Instructor, Military and Civilian. Competition to Defense with LE and Military Sniper Instructor.

To include coaching the AK NG Marksmanship Teams, I've seen them all. I've banned people from ranges, even physically thumped a couple for their unsafe acts.

Girls are easier to teach, they don't have the pre-conceived egos guys have.

They have better hand and eye coordination.

Men - woman - boys - girls, they are not all built the same, there is no one position or method that fits everyone. Some have disabilities that must be addressed.

As Gary Anderson says, THERE ARE NO HOPELESS SHOOTERS. There are problem instructors who refuse to adapt.

I have found out, never let husbands or boyfriends attend the same class as their wives/girlfriends.

I'm a more then fair rifle instructor. My wife wanted me to give her lessons in long range precision shooting to improve her long range hunting. In stead I'm signing her up for some other long range hunting school across the state and I'm staying home.

Yes woman are different, men are different too. You don't change them you adjust your instruction to fit them.

An example: Just about all precision rifle shooters will tell you to get flat, on your belly behind the rifle. That may and may not work for you. It wont work for my wife. He had her back broken and had three rods behind her shoulder blades. She cannot lay flat on her stomach and raise her head to see the sights.

She can lay on her side, cock her right leg up for balance and look through the sights/scope without having to hold her head up.

The same position works with those of us who have gotten thicker through the middle, getting the weight off our diaphragm.

We as instructors shouldn't adjust the student to our method of shooting, but should adjust our instructions to fit the build/shape/disabilities of the student.

As to Defensive shooting, Woman or Man, there is no set way to hold the body, you need to learn to shoot, laying on the ground, setting in a recliner, setting seat belted in a car, carrying toddlers, pushing baby carriages.

None of spend 24/7 in a gun fighter's stance.

Quote:
noting how my friend holds all her stress in her shoulders, stating that typically this is something women do. That they hold their tension and anxieties up in their shoulders, which adversely affects their shooting.
No it doesn't adversely affect their shooting, it affects you instruction. Keeping safety in mind of course, work with the person you have, don't make them work to your concept of how things should be.

And that's not just woman, its men, its boys and its girls. No two people are built the same.

Again, in dealing with SD firearms training, no incident is the same, so training should never be from a set shooting stance.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03754 seconds with 8 queries