View Single Post
Old September 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #38
cornbush

I had always heard the stories of how good of a marksman my grandpa was from other family members and wasn't sure if I should believe them or not. I have personally witnessed a couple now.

One was on a mule deer.
It was on the other side of a canyon running straight up the other side at approx 400 yards (if anything it was a little more). When he spotted it he says "I've got to turn him for a shot", so he shot in front of him twice and he finally turned and started running across the hill. BOOM, right behind the shoulder, 29 3/4" 4x4 down, the impressive part was this was all offhand, standing.

The second one was a Pronghorn antelope.
We spotted a nice buck a long way off and were discussing how to get closer.
We've got the bino's out leaning across the hood looking for little hills and such to use for cover and he walks up "just shoot it from here".
We're talking the better part of 1,000 yards here.
So my dad tells him to try if he thinks he can do it.
He laid his rifle across the hood and watched him for a minute and says "ok, the wind is good, I'll pop him in the head when he lifts it up above the brush again".
Buck lifts his head and BOOM, he put it right up his left nostril and it came out below the right ear.
If wouldn't have been there I'd still say they were full of it.

He has made many exceptional shots over the years, most with an old model 70 in 30-06 with a 4x weaver.

Page generated in 0.03682 seconds with 8 queries