View Single Post
Old April 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #37
jaysouth

Someone above observed that it was more expensive to put a good trigger on a pump than a bolt.

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/reming...-760-740-.html

My 7600P has one of these installed and the trigger measures 3 lbs on an RCBS spring scale. It gives a nice crisp break with no creep. In fact, the 7600P has a better trigger than my pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight. If I were going to shoot the as yet unfired model 70, I could get a nice Timney installed for around a hundred bucks.

Some observe that bolt actions are more accurate than pumps. In absolute terms, that's true, however at practical hunting ranges, a deer or pig cannot tell the difference.

After shooting Remington Pumps shotguns and rifles for over 50 years, I am perfectly happy with one. I do have some very well made bolt actions rifles that would be more suitable for varmints at 400 yards, but I don't have to pick one over the other. At 25-100 yards, the range at which I see and kill deer on my property, a pump in .308 is more than adequate. For extreme conditions in swamps and bayous, I favor my Handi-rifle in 30-30.

I have a nephew who bought a Savage Axis in .30-06. After listening to him brag for months about how great and accurate his rifle was, I challenged him to a shoot-off. At a hundred yards, he was shooting 3-4 inch groups, my 7600P, wearing the same size scope as his Axis was giving 2-3 inch groups. I would observe, however, that my Remington Pump cost twice as much as his Savage Axis. There is no doubt in my mind that he will trade his axis in on a Remington pump when he gets the financial means to do so.

Last edited by jaysouth; April 6, 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.02802 seconds with 8 queries