View Single Post
Old January 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #27
MikeRussell

Bigfatts, I understand that, but there also seems to be a progression towards overkill. However, you should note what I said would come with on a bow hunt as backup (I'd consider a .44Mag to be minimum for large dangerous game).

For example, I live in South Louisiana where deer are not huge and long shots just don't happen...yet, there are guys screaming that you NEED a 7 Mag or bigger to kill a deer (that if you are lucky may tip the scales at 180lbs). Now, having lived for a while in Washington state & hunted/killed elk easily with a .308W, I just can't see needing a magnum cartridge to kill smaller game. Part if it (I think) is compensation for poor marksmanship, "keeping up with the Joneses", or some other form of compensation. When I go to sight in at the range, I see these guys & they are lucky to make a 1in group at 25yrds, meanwhile my wife (a fairly inexperienced shooter) is making 1.5in groups at 100yrds with her 6.8SPC (which delivers enough force to drop a deer at 300yrds & there are rarely shots that far out down here).

Page generated in 0.02738 seconds with 8 queries