View Single Post
Old November 16, 1999, 04:30 PM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Thanks Harley,

I didn't realize they had sold them off that early so my gun has possibly been in civilian hands for over 60 years.

Also... I read that US tank troops in WW2 were issued 45 cal revolvers (instead of 1911's) so I was thinking the gun had remained "in service" through WW2. (I also have read that the OSS issued a 2 inch barrelled "fitz" model of the new service model in 45. wonder what that would be worth) I've also seen a Capra photo of a 101st airborne trooper with a new service colt and butt forward holster (could have been his own gun though) You think its worth getting a factory letter???

But I'll tell you something else... $750 is WAY below what sellers want for a new service model in .357 in excellent condition.. its more like twice that. I know. I've wanted one for a long time.

I've seen parkerized (unturned with british proof marks) 38 special ww2 guns going for $1000 Man is that a BIG gun for a 38 special

Maybe that market $ seems a little high... but that's looking at something you can hold in your hand rather than a "best guess" valuation from something in the gun list. I think New Service revolvers are pretty collectable, and hey they look REALLY neat.

Thanks for the info Harley..

Dr.Rob

Page generated in 0.02140 seconds with 8 queries