View Single Post
Old November 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #9
jckeffer

Re: Beagle

Great dog. I've owned several beagle over the years, both "show" bred and "hunting" bred. Didn't seem to matter as the 'show' dog hunted as well or better than the 'hunting' bred. You just can't get it out of a beagle.
Some tips:

Get her accustomed to shooting noises early - best way is to start small (.22 cal) and work up. Even better is to shoot when they are excited chasing a rabbit! Their priorities of scenting, trailing and giving chase far outweight their hearing ;-).

See if ou can't find someone with an experience dog to hunt with - check local clubs.

Keep her fenced in! Beagles are NOT territorial - unless you consider a 3 county area as their territory!

RREALLY, REALLY teach her three commands: Stop, come and stay. They can be one of the most stubborn of dogs.

Don't be afraid to hunt game other than rabbits. They can trail anything you put their nose on. They're great on pheasants. Also groundhogs, bobcats, quail. Since the tend to work in close (as opposed to a larger bird dog) they can be very effective on birds. It's common in the South to use them on deer to flush them out, but if you primarily hunt small game DON'T get them started on deer - discourage it.

The more they hunt the better they get and the happier they are.

Start out hunting where there is a lot of game - peek their interest. But them hunt where there is less game - they need to learn to focus on keeping on a single trail. I've had occasion where there were sooooo many rabbits that the would 'chase' and not trail. It's a self-disciplne thing. Once they learn they can be the most persistent trailers - will trail a bunny until you shoot it or it dies of exhaustion!

Watch their pads (feet). My good dogs would run until they're feet were literally bleeding if I let them.

Page generated in 0.03114 seconds with 8 queries