View Single Post
Old July 25, 2008, 03:15 AM   #3
gvf

I wear them, they're from a construction supply company - cheaper than in a gun store but same operation and specs. (85 + decibel dampening)

At a range with a lot of shooting, they cut in and out so often it's easier for me to turn off the electronic cut-off, and just let them block everything. When shooting dies down and is more sporadic, then the electronic dampening is helpful and yes, if the other person also has them, you can carry on a fair conversation.

I also like them when alone shooting in an outdoor pistol range (really a field with backstop) also; the sounds of the outdoor environment around me make me feel less cut off from the world than with no hearing at all. After a while I get fatigued from that. In a practical way they also make me feel less jumpy - as club members shoot skeet a short distance away (and safe distance). I like to hear the distance sound of human beings that I could yell to if I ever got in trouble - accident etc.
Lastly, though not a great concern, when alone I am aware of standing around with a number of guns plainly visible, out in the open, with ammo nearby - and wish to be able to know if someone is approaching.

So, I think they can be helpful and worth it - though I would say not an absolute necessity.

Think the name of the chain store I got mine - only about $25 - was called Harbor, they sell construction and home repair tools and paraphernalia.

Page generated in 0.02178 seconds with 8 queries