View Single Post
Old August 26, 2002, 02:48 PM   #3
BigG

Hooray, Andabeer! It sounds like you've been converted. The flinters really don't ignite pyrodex all that well and therefore black powder (especially in the priming pan) is a must. I use 3F in the pan as nobody ever stocks 4f. Seems to work pretty well. I do use Pyrodex as the main charge but put in a booster charge of 3F equivalent to a 9mm shell worth. Goes off pretty well with that set up.

I've found that keeping the small amount of priming powder away from the flash hole give the most consistent ignition. In other words, the few grains you put in should be as far to the right as possible. Just tipping your gun to the right after closing the frizzen will do it.

Also, BP makes a kind of greasy residue on the frizzen that can hinder ignition. A wipe down with a dry rag every few shots seems to help.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC

Page generated in 0.02968 seconds with 8 queries