View Single Post
Old June 29, 2002, 08:21 PM   #1
KP95DAO

Dummy Kabooms his Rem 700 BDl.

I was at the range today and another guy was three benches to the left of me. We talked for about a hour while I was there shooting my rifles.
He had two rifles that he was cronographing loads and shooting for group size at the same time. One rifle was a Rem 700 BDL in 8mm Mag.
As I was leaving to go down to shoot my pistols I looked at his box and his rounds, fired and unfired. He had two cases that had popped the primers and very bright ejector hole marks and gouges where the extractor had bit into the rim. I mentioned to him that those were pretty hot, way too hot! He mentioned that he had failed to move his 5 grain wgt back when he went up to the next level.
He said that of the three remaining rounds he wasn't sure of the load in them. I told him that,when in doubt, leave it out. He said that he wanted to go ahead and fire one of them. I again said that wasn't a very good idea. At that point I went down to the other end and started shooting my pistols.
About fifteen minutes later he left in his pickup at a faster than normal speed. After I got through shooting I went into the office and was talking to another shooter and the person who runs the place. I told them about his popped primers and then Harry asked Cale if that guy jumped when he shot the load that blew the case.
Cale said, not that he noticed; but, he was busy and wouldn't of noticed anyway. I said, you mean the popped primer rounds and Harry said no that guy blew a 8mm case at the case head and came in to borrow a hammer to get the bolt open. Harry said it was a good thing that guy didn't have any more rounds in the mag or they might of went off.
Apparently the dummy went ahead and fired at least one of those other rounds.
The kicker to this whole story is that he was talking about how he was taking those guns on Safari in northern South Africa. I don't think he'll be taking the Rem 8MM Mag with him. And yes, this guy had the money, with the pickup he was driving and the rest of his equipment. He just didn't have any common sense.

Page generated in 0.03280 seconds with 8 queries