View Single Post
Old August 30, 2012, 07:34 AM   #31
Winchester_73

Quote:
Instruct the dolt behind the counter in what ways you want him to handle the gun. Check if empty, check safety, dry fire, do poses with it. Then you can really see what YOU will look like with the gun.

LOL - you only live once.
Quote:
Respectfully... You guys must be the unluckiest folks I know... where every gun shop sales person you encounter deserves such disrespect and disdain.
I fully understand if you have one or two bad apples that you always seem to get at your LGS... but please don't lump them all together into a generic "gunshop sales person" corner.
"Theohazard" seems to be a good example of a thoughtful and considerate sales person... you wouldn't belittle him because of his profession would you?

Generic rant on...

The sales people that work in gun shops are a cross section of America. White, black, brown etc... men and women, young and old, trying to earn a living.
Most are good, some bad. Most are knowledgeable, some not. Most who have been doing it for awhile are slightly paranoid of being shot by an ignorant customer... some have been.
Many are retired military... and many wounded in service to our country. Some are actual, real live "Rocket Scientists" who lost their jobs in the recent unpleasantness... and working in a gun shop at 1/10 their previous salary is what they could get.
The best thing is, you can just about guarantee that no matter their political leanings, they are all pro gun.

It costs nothing to show a bit of kindness and respect to someone who is working in, what can be, a dangerous environment.
You assumed IMO what I meant in my statement. My problem with the generic gun shop employee is that they don't know often what they should know. It has nothing to do with their job vs mine. I'm not arrogant enough to look down at someone because of what they do. I once had the crappy dead end low paying job myself. Its more or less a guess as to why anyone has any job that they have. Its not wise to assume what kind of a person they are based on their job.

My statement centered around how incompetent they can be. I won't look down at a Mcdonalds employee, but on the other hand, I expect a milkshake and a med fry if I order a milkshake and a med fry - in other words, whatever your job is, you should be able to do it, and do it well. No one is perfect on the other hand.

When I go to gunshops, I usually meet someone (store owner, employee, etc) that says something thats either: flat out wrong (the Italians made Lugers) in an effort to sell a gun they have in stock, something thats baseless "people say a 45 is more accurate than a 9mm" or they tell me which gun is a good collectible "this woodsman (80%, wrong grips and mag) is a great investment" when I usually know more than they about the guns that I like. All of these things annoy me esp if I try to correct the person, and they argue. On occassion they assume that I am wrong because I am often younger than that person which is a logical fallacy / major assumption. Its just a pet peeve of mine. I know in 5 min if someone took the time to read and learn the things that I have read and learned, or if they are well experienced about a given gun related subject. I can tell when someone doesn't know or is trying just to make a sale. The other thing that adds to this frustration of mine is that when I sell a gun, and I have sold a fair amount, I tell the truth about the gun and if I make a conjecture, I can support it. I don't need to be a "used car salesman" to sell the guns that I have sold because I avoid the crap that gun shops occasionally deal in. Its very true that "a good gun sells itself" and that no BS needs to be done. Sometimes they didn't know themselves that they bought a mediocre or less than mediocre gun, but IMO they should know more often than I observe that they do.

Of course there are gun shops that know what they're doing, and are honest, with fair opinions of their inventory, but more often, I have not observed that in my experience.

Page generated in 0.04016 seconds with 8 queries