View Single Post
Old January 15, 2019, 01:06 PM   #41
Charlie98

Quote:
I like moderate loads with Unique but quit using it on heavier loads because a) it caused leading, too fast burning I guess, and b) it gave harsh recoil, I guess due to pressure spike. Full loads of IMR4227 were far easier to shoot.
Interestingly enough, I found that out a few years ago. I never really liked the full-house loads with W296/H110 (I really don't have a use for them) but found IMR4227 to be that Happy Place in between max charges of Unique and W296. It is especially useful in my Marlin 1894 .41MAG carbine, but still is very good out of my pistols as well. I like it so much I recently bought 8# of it...

A lot of people complain about how Unique measures... when I first got my Hornady drop I had problems, too. But after I ran a bunch of IMR stick powder through it... seasoning it up... I didn't have too many problems thereafter. It still gets a little iffy with very light charges, but I rarely go there anymore with Unique.

I have several standardized loads with Unique... oddly enough, after all these years, and after Al Gore invented the internet, I found my loads were identical to many other's standard charges...

6.5grn/230grn .45ACP
9.0grn/215grn .41MAG
9.5grn/250grn .45 Colt
7.0grn/250grn .44SPC

Someone commented that is was jack of all, master of none... I would correct that as jack of all, master of some. It works in almost everything, but it excels at a few particular loads. JMHO.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."

Page generated in 0.02669 seconds with 8 queries