View Single Post
Old April 10, 2010, 12:18 AM   #57
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap
Please tell us how well you would rate that defective Uberti compared to your Pietta that you rated to be "dead last" in your collection?
Keep the best and forget the rest!
Thanks for pointing that out...in the spirit of full disclosure, as arcticap pointed out and as you can read from the link he included, I sent the original Uberti back. However, as you can see from the second sentence posted in that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemBert
I just received a new Uberti made 1858 Remington. Initial inspection shows a pretty well made firearm for the most part...but...and you knew a "but" was coming...it would seem that the barrel alignment is less than perfect.
A lot of folks I spoke to thought it wasn't a big deal and in fact I learn that it wasn't uncommon for a 1858 to not be 100% true in barrel alignment. However, I'm a pretty picky person with high expectations thus I asked the question regarding if it was acceptable or not. For me it was not but hey...I'm picky! It was a shame to return the original Uberti I received as it was actually quite a nicely finished (and fit) firearm with the exception of the barrel alignment. In the end I really lucked out with the deal I got with the replacement.

As far as why I rated my Pietta last the first step in understanding that would be to read about the Pietta wedge from hell. The replacement Pietta had the same problem as the original Pietta. I should mention I love that little 1851 Navy however the fit and finish isn't even close, in my experience, with my Uberti revolvers. The grinding in places in inconsistent, the finish of the metal is rather rough as compared to Uberti, the timing is off, and the overall tolerance don't appear as tight. The other Pietta products owned by friends, that I've inspected, don't even match up with my Pietta. My dilemma with the replacement Pietta was to either return it and give up on Pietta or accept that fact that, as warned, these Italian replicas aren't perfect. My Pietta was better than what I saw from friends who own a few so picky or not I decided to keep it as the price was right.

Like I said though, my sampling is very very very tiny and it would be pointless to try to generalize based on my experience alone. Your mileage may vary.

Page generated in 0.04069 seconds with 8 queries