View Single Post
Old February 11, 2015, 04:03 PM   #87
fastbolt

I'm primarily a LE firearms instructor. Sure, I still work with a private citizen now and again, but I stopped teaching those classes when I retired, and haven't decided if it's worth it - liability-wise - to get involved in doing it again.

Anyway, since everything I may teach is ultimately aimed at giving our folks the tools to prevail in a deadly force encounter, without themselves or an innocent third person being shot (and while staying within the applicable state laws and policies), it's not a hypothetical exercise when I'm discussing technique, mindset, skillset, etc.

I'm not trying to create mirror images of myself, though. I'll not try to correct some occasional "habits" which aren't likely to interfere with, or hinder, someone's ability to successfully perform as needed in an actual deadly force situation. I'll also not try to reinvent someone from the ground up during a short training exposure, either.

Instead, I'll focus my attention on any 1 or 2 errors or counter-productive mannerisms that may be slowing someone down, interfering with their ability to multi-task, distracting them being able to see something, and from maintaining critical awareness and the ability to prioritize focus, judgment and decisions-making abilities.

Personally, I'd be happy if more people learned how to actually use their chosen (or issued) holsters, in a safe and smooth manner ... for both drawing AND holstering (also called re-holstering).

It's always dismaying to see people being unfamiliar, awkward or uncertain in their drawing and holstering methods. That can increase the potential for unwanted mishaps to occur (fumbling, dropping or even negligent discharges), or simply slow them from being able to properly draw and present their weapon.

LE are probably more often required to demonstrate weapon handling and holstering, while private citizens may not have to demonstrate that they even know how to thread a belt holster (or slide a paddle) on their belt. I've seen many, many more private citizens who were outright uncomfortable with using holsters than I have LE exhibit that sort of issue, and yet I've seen many, many more LE people than private citizens on training & qual ranges.

Lots of weird choices in holsters, too. Some folks have almost seemed to have gone out of their way to select a carry method, or holster design, which hindered them more than it helped them.

So ... speed of drawing & presentation?

I'd be satisfied just to see safe, proper and smooth application of drawing & presentation skills. We can always slowly work on speed once it's being done safely and correctly.

Safe, proper & smooth ... with the appropriate carry method/holster for the user's needs, maintained in the proper condition.

Probably not much good to rush things for sheer speed, when all it might result in is being able to quickly make serious (including tragic) mistakes.

First things first, and some prudent prioritization probably isn't a bad idea, either.

Just some thoughts.

Page generated in 0.03097 seconds with 8 queries