View Single Post
Old December 1, 2014, 07:10 PM   #9
raimius

Quote:
raimius, thank you for that list I like the flow of it. I notice "low-light work" is last on the list, would that also be where other more specific advanced training begins (such as room clearing)? Also, I'm assuming rifle training would follow the same flow?
Yes. Basically, the more complex and challenging tasks should be later in the program, because they require multiple "building block" skills.

-You can't practice well if you don't practice safely.
-You can't direct your practice well if you don't have goals and a proper mindset for the task. (Prevailing physically, mentally, and legally--mindset and legal considerations)
-You must be able to hit your target-so accuracy is the first measured goal here (safety is pass/fail!)
-Reasonable speed is next, as fights aren't generally turn-based affairs.

Down the line, you get into more context and tactics based blocks. If you will carry, you should know how to deploy your firearm from a holster. Many fights happen at night, so training for low-light conditions is wise. The world is a complex place, so using cover and concealment is wise. Your opponent will likely move (and so should you!), so hitting moving targets and moving yourself are good skills. If you intend to have a rifle and pistol, you need to know how to transition between them. etc. etc. etc....

I once took a class for shooting house instructors. The course taught how to safely train multiple teams to clear a building, starting from different locations. The first drill we did at the range was dry fire and single rounds at 7yds, then malfunction drills. The instructor needed to assess our skill levels at very basic things before he could safely bring us into the shoot house. Then, we did 1 room with 1 person. Then, multiple rooms with one person. Next, add a 2nd person and clear 1 room...move to multiple rooms...all the way up to 3 teams clearing the building simultaneously.
An effective training plan will cement the basics, then apply them to increasingly "advanced" situations.

Page generated in 0.02794 seconds with 8 queries